Past Events > 2010 > OverviewThe 12th Annual Global PE Conference drew a record number 750 delegates from over 50 countries. The event theme, titled Returning to Growth: Private Equity in Emerging Markets, concluded its two day program.
Day one kicked off with a keynote address from Nassim Taleb, Professor and author of bestseller, The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable. Taleb pointed out the impossibility of forecasting and framing rare risk events using historical analysis, exacerbated by the speed at which information travels today. His provocative observations set the tone for an agenda that continued to throw out challenges to perceived wisdom, in particular the notion that emerging markets are riskier than their developed counterparts.
Topics covered at the Global Private Equity Conference included:
- After the Dust Settles - What is the New Normal?
- The 2010 Emerging Markets Private Equity Outlook - Views from the Frontline
- A 21st Century Challenge - Climate Change/Clean-Tech, A Discussion on the Ramifications of this Global Challenge
- The Asian Centure - Opportunities and Challenges
- LP Perspectives
- The Framework for a Robust and Enduring EM PE Industry
- PE Returns in Emerging Markets: Reality vs. Wishful Thinking
- Regional roundtables
- PE workshops
- And much more!
A clean-tech panel led by Sir David King, Director of the Smith School of Enterprise and former Chief Scientific Advisor to the British Government noted that the challenges being thrown up by climate change, water shortage and food security offer the private equity community its biggest opportunity for 100 years. One third of the 78 global clean-tech companies are based in emerging markets and China is currently filing more patents in wind and solar energy than any other country.
- LPs, including international finance institutions, public and pension funds, private investors, endowments and family offices
- Senior investment professionals, chief investment officers, and directors from leading fund managers around the world
- Private equity attorneys, accountants, advisors, and consultants
- Public officials, regulators and representatives from government agencies
Latin America and Caribbean Half-Day Seminar
EM PE's leading Latin American fund managers, institutional investors and practitioners convened at the first-ever Latin America and Caribbean Half-Day Seminar. This intensive special seminar featured comprehensive plenary sessions covering the following topics:
- The Caribbean - Outlook and Future of Caribbean PE
- Developments in Latin American PE and the Emergence of Local Institutional Investors
- Latin America's Commitment to Developing PE Industries- A Focus on Chile, Peru, Mexico and Colombia
- The Evolving Brazilian Private Equity Landscape