Agenda | EMPEA Fundraising Masterclass in Washington, D.C.
Thursday, 18 May 2017 | The Ritz-Carlton | Washington, D.C.
- EMPEA Fundraising Masterclass
EMPEA Fundraising Masterclass
- TIME: 8:30-9:00
- Robert van Zwieten, President and Chief Executive Officer, EMPEA
- TIME: 9:00
- How and when does the planning process begin for a successful fund raise?
- What are the key factors to consider when going to market with a fund (i.e. timing, branding, target investors, etc.)?
- How can a manager make the most out of the in-person pitch? What can managers do to put their best foot forward in the diligence process?
- What are the real costs of raising a fund? What are some strategies for making time on the road more cost-effective?
- What are common fundraising pitfalls and lessons learned the hard way?
Faculty Firms & Presenters:
- Neil Brown, Partner, Head of Investor Development Group, Actis
- Christopher Bruneau, Executive Director, 57 Stars
- Gustavo Eiben, Managing Director, The Rohatyn Group (TRG)
- Ann Wyman, Investment Officer, AfricInvest
Moderator: Shannon Stroud, Vice President, Programs and Business Development
- TIME: 9:00 - 9:45
- What are best practices for first time fundraising, and what common pitfalls should fund managers avoid?
- How can experienced fund managers adapt their skills to meet the challenges of the current economic climate?
- Where is the capital flowing? Which regions are attracting LP interest, and what can fund managers do to increase LP appetite for their region?
- Which market sectors are attracting LP interest?
- Jay Koh, Managing Director, The Lightsmith Group
Carolyn Keating, Senior Investment Director, Cambridge Associates
- TIME: 9:45 – 10:25
- TIME: 10:25-10:55
- What are the key elements and stages of the documentation process and how does this proce>ss work?
- What are the latest trends in private equity terms and conditions?
- What is the range of market terms and LP/GP pressure points?
- Partnership negotiation strategies: when to be flexible and when to hold firm?
Faculty Firm & Presenters:
- Jonathan Adler, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton
- Rafael Kariyev, Counsel, Debevoise & Plimpton
- Geoffrey Kittredge, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton
- TIME: 10:55 - 12:15
How to structure PE deals in emerging markets?
- Common structuring drivers
- Structuring tools
- Tax aspects
- Investment treaties
- Common holding company jurisdictions
- Typical structures
- Geoffrey Burgess, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton
- TIME: 12:15-13:15
- TIME: 13:15-14:00
- What are DFI’s institutional priorities in adding new managers, strategies and geographies? How often and how much do those priorities change and how can managers stay current?
- What approach do DFIs take toward co-investments? Direct investments?
- What missteps can most hurt a manager vying for DFI commitments?
- Fund structuring hot buttons: what do DFIs look for to ensure alignment of interests?
- When to move on: DFI views on re-upping for follow-on funds, and when should GPs graduate to private investor capital?
Faculty Firms & Presenters:
- Johannes Goderbauer, Senior Investment Manager, DEG
- Mark Kenderdine-Davies, General Counsel, CDC Group plc
- John Kristensen, Senior Investment Manager, Head of Fund Investments, Swedfund International
- Lynn Nguyen, Managing Director, PE Funds Portfolio, Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC)
Moderator: Jeff Schlapinski, Director of Research, EMPEA
- TIME: 14:00-15:!5
*Advanced signup is required. Space is limited.
Learn how to craft the best pitch from our panel of judges as GP attendees present their two minute “elevator pitch” and gain on-the-spot feedback.
- TIME: 15:15-16:00
Robert W. van Zwieten, President and CEO, EMPEA
- TIME: 16:00