Since the organization’s founding in 2004, EMPEA has remained committed to arming emerging markets private equity GPs with the tools needed to overcome obstacles to fundraising. EMPEA’s Private Equity Masterclass was designed to examine real-time changes and challenges in the global fundraising environment, including mergers & acquisitions and deal structuring. The Masterclass also features DFI perspectives on co- and direct-investments (including re-upping and follow-on funds) and how to best pitch to LPs. The Masterclass welcomes all GPs – whether you are a veteran fund manager or about to embark on raising your first fund.
Preliminary Agenda – Thursday, 17 May
View Masterclass speakers here.
8:30-9:00 | Registration & Breakfast
9:00-9:45 | Learning from Experience – How Successful Fund Managers Navigate the Fundraising Cycle
- How and when does the planning process begin for a successful fund raise?
- What are the key factors to consider when going to market with a fund (i.e. timing, branding, target investors, etc.)?
- How can a manager make the most out of the in-person pitch? What can managers do to put their best foot forward in the diligence process?
- What are the real costs of raising a fund? What are some strategies for making time on the road more cost-effective?
- What are common fundraising pitfalls and lessons learned the hard way?
- Neil Milne, Managing Partner & Co-Founder, Abris
- Amie Patel, Director, Elevar Equity
- Michael Arpey, Managing Director and Head of Investor Relations, The Carlyle Group
- Opuiyo Oforiokuma, Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director, ARM-Harith Infrastructure Investment Limited
- Isabelle Diop, Senior Research Analyst, EMPEA (Moderator)
- As the investment community begins to focus on sustainable investment (such as through achieving the Sustainable Development Goals), the LPs’ focus centers on ESG. Learn best practices on private equity ESG policies, their implementation, LP reporting and why the right ESG mindset is critical to value creation and protecting one’s license to operate.
- Steve Okun, ASEAN Representative, EMPEA and Founder and CEO, APAC Advisors
- What are the key elements and stages of the documentation process and how does this process work?
- What are the latest trends in private equity terms and conditions?
- What is the range of market terms and LP/GP pressure points?
- Partnership negotiation strategies: when to be flexible and when to hold firm?
- Jonathan Adler, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton
- Sally Bergmann, Associate, Debevoise & Plimpton
- Rafael Kariyev, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton
- Geoffrey Kittredge, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton
- How to structure PE deals in emerging markets? (i.e. common structuring drivers, structuring tools, tax aspects, investment treaties, common holding company jurisdictions, typical structures)
- Rafael Kariyev, Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Andrew C. Rearick, International Counsel, Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- How to ensure better governance at the fund level and better ESG performance at the investee/portfolio company level?
- Charles T. Canfield, Principal Corporate Governance Officer, International Finance Corporation (IFC)
- What are DFI’s institutional priorities in adding new managers, strategies and geographies? How often and how much do those priorities change and how can managers stay current?
- What approach do DFIs take toward co-investments? Direct investments?
- What missteps can most hurt a manager vying for DFI commitments?
- Fund structuring hot buttons: what do DFIs look for to ensure alignment of interests?
- When to move on: DFI views on re-upping for follow-on funds, and when should GPs graduate to private investor capital?
- John Kristensen, Senior Investment Manager, Head of Fund Investments, Swedfund International
- Mark Kenderdine-Davies, General Counsel, CDC Group plc
- Jaap Reinking, Director of Private Equity, FMO
- Christoff Gross, Senior Investment Manager, DEG
- Lynn Nguyen, Acting Vice President of Investment Funds, Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC)
- Karsten Sinner, Senior Banker, Equity Funds, European Bank For Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)